Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Monday, September 25, 2006

Roberto Carlos: 500 matches with Real Madrid


This is Roberto Carlos' 11th season at Real Madrid. The Brazilian defender has been at the Club for over a decade in which he has been very successful, as well as a starter under the four coaches the team's had in all that time. Tonight, he will play his 500th match with the Whites against Betis in Seville. Congratulations Roberto.

In the summer of 1996, Fabio Capello started his first tenure as Real Madrid coach and requested the signing of a player he considered to be one of the best left backs in the world. He was proved to be right as the years went by and Roberto Carlos started winning titles for the team, eventually being considered the King of the left wing -the left back position had no boundaries for him. The entire footballing world couldn't do anything against his unstoppable free kicks and his innate strength and potency.

Ten years later, the same stars meet again at the same place. Last week, Fabio Capello saw how that fast player he signed ten years ago played his 350th Spanish League match against Real Sociedad. Tonight, he will be a witness to Roberto Carlos playing his 500th match with Real Madrid against Betis.


As a celebration, Spanish sports journal Diario AS paid a deserved tribute to the Brazilian star, who was very surprised to learn that he would be playing his 500th match. Showcasing his fantastic sense of humour, Roberto Carlos said, "The match against Betis will be my 500th?Geez, I get so tired after every match that I thought I must have played 800! I feel well and I want to play. I'll be a starter if the coach wants me to. I'll tell you something else: I may be a veteran, but I feel like a kid..."

Roberto Carlos has lived many experiences at Real Madrid; many have been marvelous and some not so good, but Roberto Carlos mainly thinks of a present and a future filled with triumphs. "I'm sure that we'll win titles this year," said the defender. "The team is fresher every day. All we have to do is adapt to our positioning because we have many new players. We have to be patient with Capello's style. He wants a more straightforward style."


Roberto Carlos mentioned that the whole squad is willing to fight to help Real Madrid recover their Spanish and European dominance. "I'm sure we will beat Betis if we play like we trained on Wednesday and Friday," said the player. "We're all working very hard. People will see a much improved Real Madrid against Betis. I'm sure the Bernabéu fans will enjoy Capello's style in the long run. He's a very good coach, and he likes things to be done well because he takes work very seriously. He thinks that in order to learn anything one has to listen. That's his secret. He's a fantastic guy."

Despite he is about to play his 500th match with the Whites, retirement is the last thing on Roberto Carlos' mind. The defender wishes to win more titles as a Madridista. "Real madrid can make you a hero, a villain, the best player in the world, or a failure," said the Brazilian left back. "I don't want to leave this club. I have a contract ending in June that I would like to extend until 2009, but I will not sign anything until I have played my best football again. I don't want to renew my contract just to have a stroll on the field. Money is important, but it isn't all there is to life."


Realmadrid.com
Photography: Diario AS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home