Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Capello presser:"You win or lose on small margins, but we will fight until the end"



Real Madrid’s Italian manager held the customary pre-match press conference just hours before the Madridistas flew to the Catalan capital, where they will measure up against F.C Barcelona in the second Clásico of the season. He stood his ground stating that he will continue to coach the Whites and he underlined how optimistic he is towards the future.

Will you line up the holding midfield trio again?
No, I don’t think so. It was a specific experiment for the Champions League match. I normally spend all week long talking to the coaching staff before I take this kind of decision at game. But on Wednesday, after we conceded the goal in the first minute, all I had thought or planned came to nothing.

Would you resign if you lost at the Camp Nou?
I am not going to resign. The Club always has the last word. But I feel backed up by the squad.

Some say this will be your last game from the bench?
I haven’t heard anything like that. Tomorrow’s fixture is more important than speaking of me. You ask me the same thing in every press conference and I always answer the same thing: the final decision is the President’s.

Do you assume partial responsibility and could you understand a certain disappointment from the squad?
When the results are bad, it is fair to say that I am the one who decides the starting lineups. Each person has their role. I am the coach and they are the players, and it’s their role to comply with what I say.

What do you think of Roberto Carlos announcing his decision precisely now?
I knew about his decision. He has an injury that will have him out of bounds for some time. Everyone has the right to speak out whenever they want, but maybe this wasn’t the best time.

What explanation can you give for the elimination?
My experience tells me that you win or lose on the smallest of margins. We are the team with best scoring record in the Champions League. We scored four in the Round of 16, but we made gifts of goals and mistakes that should never happen, and I’m not talking only of a ball that bounced funny. What can a player do in such circumstance?

Do you foresee a very tough match in Barcelona?
For sure. We are barely scraping by for the Camp Nou face-off. The teamsheet is more or less foreseeable and as occurred in Munich, we will fight until the very end. There are still many games ahead.

Was their elimination also a big upset for Barcelona?
When a team wins the European Cup, they want to savour that bliss again. As we did, Barcelona had high hopes, but it wasn’t meant to be and now they will focus on the League. But there are also Valencia and Sevilla on the lookout.

Is training for Real Madrid hell for you?
No, not a hell at all. It’s a good job and I go about it with the same excitement I brought ten years ago. Sports are good for the soul.

Have you heard the latest of Ronaldo?
Yes, but I never answer the players back.


Press conference report by Cristina Monge

Photos by David R. Anchuelo

Translation by Luis Orueta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home