Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Ruud, happier than ever


Father and Great scorer: "I can't wait for the derby"

Ruud Van Nistelrooy has two reasons to be the happiest man on Earth, and his face spoke a thousand words. Not only did he become a father on Tuesday morning, but the Dutch striker scored two goals against Dynamo Kyiv in last night's Champions League match. Real Madrid face cross-town rival Atletico Madrid on Sunday, and Van Nistelrooy wants to add more goals to the books in what he thinks will be a "very special match."

Do you still have some goals left in you for Sunday?
The derby is always special. Yesterday is over and now we're just thinking about Sunday. I can't wait to play this game."

Do you like the idea of playing alongside Ronaldo?
It's definitely possible. Ronaldo is a great attacker, but there are also others like Robinho and Reyes. Having so many options is a big advantage.

Are you more comfortable playing in attack by yourself or with another forward?
Scholes used to play behind me at Manchester, and we played with three forwards in Holland. I am the typical centre forward and I like to play as far up as possible.

You have been in every starting eleven since you joined Real Madrid. Do you think this might change when Ronaldo returns?
I don't know. You have to ask the coach. This team is full of great players and it's always important to train hard for matches. The coach is the decision-maker.

Beckham wanted to take last night's penalty kick?
Before the game started I was told that I would take any penalty kicks. Beckham is my friend, and he takes free kicks. I wasn't even aware that people wanted Raúl to take it.

How do you find Raúl?
Everyone knows how good Raúl is, and I'm sure he will continue down the right track.


You won 5-1 last night, but there were several mistakes in defence.
They had three or four good scoring chances. We attack a lot, meaning we might leave the opponent some open spaces. We have a strong defence this year.

Who do you worry about most on Atletico Madrid?
They are a strong team and I would highlight their talent. They signed some great players and are only one point under us in the table. I'm most familiar with [Fernando] Torres.

What can you say about Torres?
He proved he was in top form during the World Cup. He is young, smart, and very fast with and without the ball. I consider him a complete player.

Do you think he could be successful in England?
Yes, I do. He is good enough to play in England, Holland, Italy, or Germany.

Are you excited about being the League's top scorer?
We have to take each game one at a time, and that's all I really think about.


It looks like Manchester don't miss you very much.
I have been watching their Champions League matches. I have a lot of friends there and I speak to them every so often. They are doing well and winning. They have Saha, who is the top scorer in the Champions League.

What stands out most about Atletico Madrid?
All derbies are special. These matches always tend to be pretty equal. Atletico are a talented team. It will be a good test for us.

Who do you like more, Capello or Ferguson?
They are the two most experienced coaches on Earth. They are similar in the manner they relate to the players. But, I get along better with Capello.

Have your teammates told you anything about what the derby means?
No. In Holland and England, Atletico are know as a great Club with a long history. I don't know the ins-and-outs of their history within Spain, but it's insignificant heading into the match.


Report byLuis Navarro
Photos by Daniel Sastre
Translation by Matthew Goltz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home