Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Cannavaro press conference: "I have to thank Real Madrid for giving me the opportunity to be here"



Grinning from ear to ear, Fabio Cannavaro appeared in public for the first time at France Football headquarters in Paris with Golden Ball in hand. Lots of gratitude and countless memories were shared in an emotional press conference attended by French, Italian, and Spanish media.

Before taking questions from the press, Fabio Cannavaro posed with the Golden Ball he deservingly won. With a permanent smile on his face, the Madridista began by saying, It's an honour to be here this afternoon to receive an award like this one. I have to thank Real Madrid for giving me the opportunity to be here, as well as all my former Juventus teammates and Italian national team members. This award has added meaning being a defender because it has always been given to players who possess very different qualities than mine. I have to enjoy this moment because this award means so much to me. I don't want to create any controversy of whether or not it's fair because this is an award that covers the efforts over a one year period.”

The Best Footballer of the Year then sat down to answer questions from the press.


The Golden Ball or La Cibeles
I am very happy to be playing for Real Madrid. I want to offer this trophy to the entire Bernabéu. I also dedicate it to the fans in Naples and Turin.

Thuram
Thuram called me. We've gone through a lot of battles together and I also want to dedicate this to him. It's very hard for a defender to win this.

A great World Cup
We weren't a team with players like Maradona, but we were a close-knit group very capable of doing amazing things. My teamates were incredible during the World Cup and we won thanks to them.

The most special moment
It's hard to point out one moment. I remember the great season Juventus had. I played in 36 matches, scored four goals, and had some unforgettable moments. I really remember the World Cup semifinal. It was probably the best match of the year.

Buffón rivalry
Competing against friends is always hard. He's a phenomenal goalkeeper and did an extraordinary job. He's number one. This is a personal and team victory.


Hierro and Baressi
Hierro and Baressi were two great defenders who weren't able to win this award. The difference is that I played in a World Cup and won it. They would have received this award had they won a World Cup as well.

Other nominees
Lots of players could have won. It's not my fault that they gave it to me. I don't vote.

Cannavaro ranking
I would have given it to Buffon because he is my friend and a great keeper. He's in a totally different category when you speak about keepers. Henry second and Pirlo third.

His philosophy
Being consistent is the most important thing. It's what I have done throughout my life and I have to continue working hard.

World Cup and Golden Ball
I always dreamed of winning the World Cup. When they handed over the trophy after the final was a dream come true. I always thought about winning the World Cup when I began playing. It's a lot harder to win the Golden Ball, so I am thrilled.


Titles with Real Madrid
I am fortunate to be 33 years old and playing for Real Madrid and in the Champions League. I hope to win important trophies with this team.

Hardest forwards to defend
Ronaldo and Shevchenko were the two hardest players that I have came up against.

On the same level as Maradona
It's hard. For a Naples native, Maradona is the greatest. I am sure this award is important to my city, but I can't mean as much as Maradona did.




Report by Luis Navarro
Photos by : Daniel Sastre/Beatriz Guzman (MARCA)/As.com.
Special correspondents to Paris, France
Translation by Matthew Goltz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home