Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Mahamadou Diarra: "We're out for revenge"


Tuesday's match against Olympique Lyonnais will be special for Madridistas for the past string of encounters between both sides. But it's especially important for Mahamadou Diarra, who will square off against his former team for the second time, but this time at his new home, the Santiago Bernabéu. There's a sense of revenge in the air for the Mali native, who warned, "We're ready to battle. Wins don't come free of charge."

You get to face your old team again two months after losing to them in Lyon.
Playing against Olympique Lyonnais again is a real pleasure. We didn't have a great game against them the first time we met, but things have changed. We are a true, solid team now, and we get to play at home. We have played well and things are looking up. Now we just have to prove it.

How is your adapting to Real Madrid and Spain coming along?
Very fast. It really hasn't been that difficult. I am very happy to be here and I don't regret leaving Lyon at all. I am having a few problems with the language barrier because I don't have time to study. The Spanish League is a step up from the French League. There are differences between both countries, but I am adjusting well.

Do Real Madrid feel this is a match for revenge?
Of course we want revenge. We wouldn't like losing two straight games to Olympique. We're out for revenge. A good team can't lose to the same opponent twice in a row.


How have you adapted to Capello's style of play?
I used to play closer to the defence for Lyon. I'm not quite in the same position now, but I will play anywhere. I don't have any trouble adjusting, but we also have to take into account all the languages being spoken on the pitch. We have to adapt to everything and communicate any way we can. I am very happy with what I am going through right now.

Has Capello asked you for any inside information about Olympique?
Even if he has, I can't say it during a press conference. It's between him and me.

Have you had the chance to speak to your old teammates?
I'm kept up to date about 90% of what goes on at Olympique. They aren't just former teammates, but friends of mine. We speak almost every day. Of course we keep in touch.

Mali players are doing great in Spain. Kanouté scored a brilliant goal on Saturday.
He's both a brother and national team teammate to me. I don't score as much as he does. Actually, we spoke yesterday. I am very happy for him. It's always great to have a friend who is going through such a good patch.


What image does Spain have of Olympique? Is it a small European Club or more than that?
All of us here know that Olympique is one of the ten best European Clubs out there. You don't just win five straight French Leagues if you aren't a good team. I think Spain's public opinion of them is a good one.

Are you worried that they might have lots of scoring opportunities at the Bernabéu?
This is football, and it can go any which way. Everyone has their own way of analysing games.
The key for most opponents is to take Guti out of the equation. Should Madrid's be to stop Juninho?
Stopping him won't be easy. And it's not just him we have to worry about. Olympique are a great, compact, and solid team. We have to keep a close eye on all of them, even some of their reserves. We're ready to battle. Wins don't come free of charge.


Report by Laura Navas
Photos by David R. Anchuelo
Translation by Matthew Goltz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home