Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Marcelo's first press conference:"Real Madrid have always been on my mind, and now I've come to help"


Slightly overwhelmed by the expectation his recent signing has caused, Marcelo was presented as new Real Madrid player for the first time before the members of the press that attended the event at the Santiago Bernabéu. The Brazilian left back has stated many times now that he has joined Real Madrid to work hard and to help the team in every way that he can.

There's been some talk about you playing with Real Madrid Castilla until June.
I've come here to help Real Madrid and I will do whatever they decide I have to do.

Have you seen Roberto Carlos yet?
Yes, I went to Valdebebas and I talked to him. He gave me a warm welcome and told me not to be nervous.

How are you coping with the possibility of retiring Roberto Carlos?
I've come here to help and to do my job. I will do whatever the Club has in stock for me.

Are you ready to play in the Second Division?
I'm waiting to play wherever Real Madrid requires me to. I've come here to work. I will be wherever they tell me to be.


You received offers from other teams, such as Sevilla. Why did you prefer Real Madrid?
Sevilla were interested in me but I always put Real Madrid first. I wrote a letter to Sevilla thanking them for their interest in me, but Real Madrid was always on my mind.
Cicinho might be the best example. He adapted quickly to European football and won the crowd over.
I don't know. I've come here to do my duty. If I adapt and I am liked by the fans, it will be because of my good work.

How did you find out Real Madrid were interested in you?
They contacted my agent.

Have you spoken to Fabio Capello?
I've spoken to him and everybody else. I met him this morning.

You are only eighteen years old. Is this a good moment to leave Brazil or is it a bit soon?
It's a good time to leave. I have already played a stage of my career in Brazil and now is a good time to play here.

How is Marcelo on the field?
In Brazil, I stood out for the fast defence-attack transition. That's what defines me as a player.


Report by Laura Navas
Photography by David R. Anchuelo
Translation by Michael J. O'Donnell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home