Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Capello satisfied: "We played a good game"





3-2






Capello insisted on his team's good performance in the first leg of the Campions League's Round of 16, despite Bayern Munich's late second goal. "The team played well in both halves, but these things happen in football," said the Italian coach.

Capello wasn't pleased with the media's opinions on his starting eleven. "I have lined up more offensive teams in the past... like whenever Reyes or Robinho play from the start," he added.

"We looked different out there tonight because the Champions League is always different. We are very focused in every match of this tournament," he continued, "The support of the fans also boosted our morale."

"I will keep working in my usual calm and serious way," said Capello, "This is important for us. We sometimes achieve our goals and other times we don't, but we must keep working down the same path."

The Italian coach praised his players' efforts but admitted that the German side was fresher in the second half. "I think Bayern Munich made three substitutions that really made a difference," pointed out the coach, who proceeded to say, "We had several chances on our counters, but they pressed a lot. They crossed ball meant to be headed by their forwards, especially Pizarro. He became their most important player as soon as he came on."

"I think they pressed, whipping the ball forward, looking for winning headers by Pizarro and Makaay," he continued, "Their new players were very fresh. A team that wins 3-1 normally doesn't want to throw away that advantage by risking too much and we were possibly blocked by that fear. It's hard to explain, but you know when you're in that situation. Maybe it's psychological."

When asked if the lineup was conformed only after consulting with Mijatovic, the Italian coach was adamant in his reply. "I have never spoken to the President and neither Mijatovic nor Baldini have ever questioned any of my lineups because they simply can't do that," he said, "If they ever told me who to line up I wouldn't do it. I decided the lineup this morning. When I do so, I think about the team, our opponents, etc. I balance things out and make my decision."

"I liked Beckham's output tonight," he added, "He performed excellently. I didn't like that he was sent off last Saturday, but he played a good game today."

"This is a very important week for the team because both the Champions League and the derby are very important," said the coach, "We'll see what happens at the Vicente Calderón Stadium. I think the team played very well today; we should keep it up."

"Both teams improved today," he said finally, "The fans helped us a lot and Bayern Munich played an excellent second half despite being 3-1 down. They improved even further in the last 45 minutes."

Realmadrid.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home