Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Cannavaro press conference: "I have always thought it's the game every footballer wants to play"


Countdown to the Clasico kick-off. The new signings of Real Madrid will feel something special. They know just how important this match is and Cannavaro summarised this feeling, stating, “I want to play already. I want it to be Sunday.” The centre back thinks his team is ready and hyped up, although he doesn't want any over-confidence after the defeat of Barcelona in the Champions League. “We are ready, calm, mentally prepared and willing to give our all,” says the Italian defender.

Has Barça's defeat in the Champions League changed the outlook for Sunday's match?
I don't think so. They are two different competitions. Real Madrid and Barcelona are the two strongest sides and I am sure it will be a very special match. Prior results really don't matter.

Did you watch the Clasicos in Italy?
I loved these games. I've always thought that this is the game every footballer wants to play, like a Juve-Inter… But even back then I rallied for Real! I want it to be Sunday already because I amdying to play.

Is Eto’o's absence important?
Barça have many top quality players. So, Eto’o will not be playing, but Messi, Ronaldinho and other will be there… It won't be easy defending this cast of players.


What have they told you about last year's game? The fans even gave Ronaldinho a standing ovation.
This year, everything is different... so we're thinking that the score will be quite different. Ronaldinho is one of the best players in the world so it's normal if people applaud him. We have changed our mentality. We're looking for the right balance, to be calm and play well.

You have lived through everything in ten days: defeats, victories, criticism, euphoris…
I think it's normal. That's the way football is throughout the whole world. Bad results entail a number of problems; the team is conscious of what's being said but we're only thinking of working hard. We understand that criticism after a match like Getafe's is very understandable.


Has your attitude changed so much in three days?
It is true that our incentives were different for the Getefe and Steaua Bucharest matches. Same as for Barça, where we are all very tuned in. What's important is to be regular in all competitions. You can't be having ups and downs if you aspire to win titles.

Have you spoken to Thuram?
Yes, during the pre-match preparation with Italy… but tomorrow I will give him a direct call (laughs).


Yesterday, the President said that you were the best in the world.
We have to prove that. We have a good team, but facts on the field of play are everything, not words. We'll see at the end of the season.

On Tuesday, Real Madrid controlled and moved the ball around more.
Yes, we did. We want this every game, but they are all different. It is true that we played well on Tuesday, but we need to keep improving and do a prefect match on Sunday. We allwant to play like that every game, but there's a lot of new players, a new coach, a different mentality, so we're overcoming these difficulties.


On Wednesday, Barcelona's weaker points were apparent…
I just think that Chelsea were stronger. We have to play with our hearts and minds fully in it.


How did it go with Helguera?
Iván is a great defender. I've always liked him. When I got here, he had a few problems, but now the coach has decided to line him up: he's ready and he did a good job. He's a great athlete and has a lot of balls. He has many qualities going for him. He stays calm and he thinks things through quite a lot.

How can one defend Ronaldinho?
When Ronadihno starts charging or begins a sprint, uuuffff!. You have to start praying. He's just great and always dangerous. You can count on him fabricating something marvelous. But we also have our fair share of that because Robinho, Cassano, Raúl and Van Nistelrooy are all great.


Has your performance diminished since the World Cup?
If one watches my games during the World Cup, it's simple to see that I was just perfect. It's different now. It's a new experience, but my performance is fine. I played better or worse, but that's normal. I know I have to keep on working hard. But I haven't noticed many changes from the Italian Serie A.

Are you Sunday's favourites?
We play at home… but I think it's a 50-50 affair right now.

If you lose, the point difference would be preoccupying…
Eight points would be harsh. On Sunday all we need to focus on is winning; forget the point difference.

Are you thinking of the Golden Ball?
Not really. I know I did really well during the World Cup and all throughout last season, but it's hard for a defender or a keeper to win this trophy. I hope they give it to an Italian player because of the World Cup.

There are no easy games in this League, right?
We know how tough and strong all teams are. The level of the Spanish League is extremely high. All teams have quality. The problem is there are many teams.



Report by Cristina Monge
Photos by David R. Anchuelo
Translation by Luis Orueta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home