Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Zidane returns home: "I'm proud of being part of Real Madrid's history"


Zinedine Zidane returned to the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium to take part in a Canal+ France documentary in which the former football star recalls some of his best moments at Real Madrid. He later spared some moments to talk to Realmadrid.com, saying, "the team will improve" and that he feels "proud of being part of Real Madrid's history."

Zinedine Zidane returned to the Santiago Bernabéu for the first time since he retired from professional football. He did so to take part in a Canal+ France documentary where the French star shows the stadium and the Trophy Room, among other places. First off, Zizou was filmed on the pitch while he explained what one feels when playing in such a magical venue, remembering some of the best goals he scored here. He then visited the dressing rooms and recalled for the camera some of the best moments he lived with his fellow teammates there.

The next "location" was the Trophy Room, where there are constant refrences to his persona, such as videos replaying his best goals. Watching those videos with him, one could read the nostalgia and the pride in his eyes. The best moment came when he visited the room where the 9 European Cups are displayed. Zidane reportedly scored one of the best goals in recent football and European Cup history during the Glasgow final that Real Madrid won against Bayer Leverkusen.
Zidane: "Watching Real Madrid win will always make me happy"

How do you feel after returning to the Bernabéu?
I'm very happy. It's the first time I'm back at the stadium since my last League match against Villarreal. Remembering my time at this Club always makes me happy. I have very fond memories.

The Real Madrid Museum -including the Trophy Room- clearly shows you are part of the history of this Club.
I'm very happy and very proud of being part of the history of Real Madrid. The fans were always very affectionate with me here.

How do you view football from "the outside?"
I don't watch much football because I'm very busy. I don't really miss it that much because I'm doing a lot of things. I'm dealing with my retirement quite well.

Have you seen any Real Madrid games this season?
I think they're a good team, but I also think they can improve. I think they will gradually get better and I will be very happy when they win a title.

Do you keep in touch with your former teammates?
Not much, but I'm very happy when they win because I have many friends here. I'm also happy for the Club.

Puskas died a few days ago.
It must be sad for his family. He was a very important figure in football. It's always sad when someone dies. The most important thing is that the family copes well with his death.

Cannavaro has been tipped as this year's Golden Ball winner.
He would be a fair winner, as would Buffon.

You could win it too.
No. I don't count this year.


Report by Álvaro Velasco
Photography by Daniel Sastre
Translation by Michael J. O'Donnell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home