Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Friday, December 22, 2006

First press conference:Gago: "It's an honour to play on this squad"


Fernando Gago's hectic morning culminated with his first press conference as a Real Madrid player. The Argentinian attended to the media who gathered in the press room of the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium. Gago expressed his desire to adapt quickly to a football very different than what he is used to.


You've see matches an you know that there is a lot of pressure for a player of your position in Spain. Does that worry you?
It doesn't worry me. I'm coming from a very different type of football and I'll try to adapt as fast as possible. I'll have to get used to the rhythm of play by training, but I'm not worried.

Maradona has said that you have what it takes to succeed at Real Madrid. What do you think about that?
I have always had a good relationship with Diego, and it's very flattering. It's important because he is someone who achieved everything in football and he has supported me at all times. But I still have to work hard and continue making progress.

What will you remember from a moment like this one?
Family support is always important at times like there, because they are who I share everything with.

After seeing the Recreativo match, did you ever think you could have done more?
I was unable to watch it. I've come to give my very best every day and I don't think it will take long to adjust to European football.
You had some great offers but you finally chose Real Madrid. Why were you so adamant about playing for Madrid?
Redondo has always been my idol, even though we are very different. I always dreamed of wearing this shirt some day and now my dream is reality.
Do you think you might play for Castilla?
I'm come to work hard with the First Team. The coach will decide who plays and who doesn't. I still haven't had the chance to speak to him, but I hope to earn his trust as soon as possible.

Were you ever worried that this transfer wouldn't go through?
I wanted as little do to with it as possible and all I was focusing on was the Argentinian tournament. But then the possibility of joining Real Madrid came up and I didn't want to miss out.

How do you like the Stadium?
It's amazing. I had seen it on television, but I had never been here. I was very impressed.
What's your opinion on Real Madrid's play?
I haven't seen a lot, but I have tried to. From what I have seen, I think there is a squad good enough to lead Real Madrid to many titles.

Capello plays with two centre midfielders. Do you prefer playing alone or alongside someone?
I have always played alone but I wouldn't have any problems sharing the midfield. I have only done it with Argentina due to the style of play.


Is it true you had the chance to play for FC Barcelona?
I had offers, but I wanted to play for Real Madrid, and fortunately I will be.

Report by Carlos Cristóbal
Photos by Daniel Sastre
Translation by Matthew Goltz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home