Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Higuaín to Realmadrid.com: "I'll give back the confidence that they have in me"

Upon arriving in Madrid, Gonzalo Hiugaín sat down with Realmadrid.com and Realmadrid TV and talked about his objectives in European football. The former River Plate forward said he was proud to have joined "the most powerful Club in the world" and he expressed his desire to be a Madridista for years to come and to win many titles.

Gonzalo Higuaín, welcome to Madrid and Real Madrid. How have you felt in the few days you have been here?
I'm getting to know the city I'll be living in for the next six and a half years little by little. I am very happy to be here. I'll return to Argentina for the holidays, but I'll be back on December 30th to train with the team.

What do you think playing for Real Madrid will be like? I'm not talking about players, because Argentina has important players as well, but perhaps the ones here are more internationally recognised.
It's going to be incredible playing on this great squad. I am convinced I will learn a lot from them. What I have to do is work hard and earn my spot.

You already know Fabio Capello is very demanding, but I'm sure it won't be a problem for you.
No, not at all. I am confident in myself and my football. My new teammates are great players, but that's expected on a team like Real Madrid. I still have a lot to learn, but my teammates are great players and the coaching staff highly qualified. What's important is that I'm happy to be a part of this Club and that they have placed their trust in me.

You are 19 and a starter for River, one of Argentina's top Clubs, and all of a sudden Real Madrid calls you. What went through your head?
A lot. I am young and it's hard to reach the top level, but I will gain a lot of experience here. As I said earlier, it's time to be happy. I have achieved what I wanted, which was to play inn Europe. I didn't expect it to happen so soon, but I am here and I have to take advantage of this great opportunity.
You don't feel any pressure?
No. I've been playing for a Club very similar to Real Madrid. The same kind of pressure exists, the fans are similar, and both teams have gone several years without winning a title. Now I want to help Real Madrid win many lots of League titles.
Twenty-six Argentineans have played for Real Madrid and all have done very well here. Does that give you an idea of what is expected of you?
Yes. It's true that those Argentineans who have played here have done well for the most part. But I don't feel any pressure. I have to work hard, and hopefully I will be playing here for a long time. I am very comfortable here, with the most powerful Club in the world and surrounded by great people.


What did you learn in Argentina's First Division?
It was a whirlwind. I played in the Clasico very early on and it was hard for me to take it all in. But, I have settled and my feet are firmly in place. I am everyone else's equal and I need to fight for a spot just as hard.

Would you say your big leap came after the Boca Juniors match?
Perhaps. I knew the whole world was watching, but I play every match the same way. I don't want to disappoint anyone and I hope to give back the confidence that has been placed in me.

Would you define yourself as a goal scorer or the player who gets the last pass in?
I am comfortable where I play. I hope to improve and triumph here, in the League of Stars.

Are you more of an attacking midfielder or forward?
I feel good playing anywhere up front. I played more as an attacking midfielder for River, but you can learn to play anywhere.

Did you become a forward to upset your dad, a former defender?
I became a forward because I have always liked scoring.


What advice has your father given you?
To let my personality shine through and to be glory-hungry. To always strive to be better and not settle for anything less.

Do you know what national team you will play for?
I don't. All my thoughts are on Real Madrid.

What title would you rather win?
I'm not sure. I think there's something special about the European Cup. I hope to win a title this season.

Have you given yourself a time limit to adapt?
I will try to adapt as fast as I can. That's why I have my family with me. My teammates have been incredible. I think I will adapt to Madrid and Spanish football pretty quickly.

You have a language, food, and people in common.
There shouldn't be any problems adapting.

What would you tell the fans?
That I'll give back the confidence that they have in me.


Realmadrid.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home