Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Fabio Capello explained the reasons for Beckham's return to the team



It was the talking point of the day. The return of David Beckham to a Real Madrid squad list became the star attraction of the press conference that Fabio Capello held prior to the departure of the Madridista detail up north, to Saint Sebastian. The Italian trainer assured that “realising one's mistakes is a trait of intelligent human beings” and he confirmed that the doubts that he may have had in the past regarding the English midfielder's “dedication and commitment” have been dispelled in view of the unswerving show of professionalism displayed by the footballer.


Beckham is back on the squad list.
Beckham's back. Let me explain the ins and outs of this decision. We had our doubts, after he signed such an important contract with Los Angeles Galaxy, regarding how committed he would be to training and playing. Three weeks ago I said that I saw that he was training full fledge. This is how things have unfolded. This week, he has been absolutely perfect at training. He has always had the support of his teammates, so our only doubt was from a sporting perspective. He has acted as a true professional would and he's back.

It view of the doubts, wouldn't it have been better to wait a little bit before taking the decision?
Realising one's mistakes is a trait of intelligent human beings. We all know that we make mistakes, but amending them cultivates virtue.

Have the shows of support from all his teammates influenced your decision?
No, only Beckham's hard work and attitude. He's a top professional. I spoke to him. He's very happy and so are we.

Will you count him in until the end of the season?
Yes, that's right. He will be here until the end of the season and we are counting on his contribution, starting with this call-up.

Do you think that this decision puts your authority into question vis-a-vis the rest of the team?
I don't think that this affects my authority at all.


Will he play against Real Sociedad?
We'll have to talk to see how he feels. We'll wait to see what happens.

Do you feel you could be dismissed if you lose against Real Sociedad?
I work every day with enthusiasm, serenity and with a clear mind... then it's the President who decides what happens. All this talk makes no sense because in the last few years, at this point in the League, Real Madrid was ten or twelve points under Barcelona. This is my job although it is evident that the President has the final say. The players are working hard and training very well. Against Levante, we were unlucky, but I want to thank them for their effort.

After the Levante match, the Sporting Directorship talked about your future.
The President has told me that I have their full support.

What do you think of Míchel as your substitute?
He's a good coach. We're friends too. When we're sitting down here, everyone is good.

The Spanish Antiviolence Commission has criticised your statements after the Levante game.
If any time I say something you take it out of context, I'm going to start talking in Italian. I meant I wanted to thank the people who had supported me, the fans... I didn't say Ultra Sur [Real Madrid Ultras group]. I just think that every time that Fabio Capello speaks, it's news. I am the epitome of antiviolence, so I cannot accept the criticism of these gentlemen. I don't simply because I didn't say that the ultras were good. I have always battled organised groups, both in Italy and here. I am a champion of sportsmanship. I made it very clear where I stand on the subject on Italian TV.

You have said that in Spain one of the sports practiced is ‘Capello shooting’.
People make things up more and more every day, things that are unfair and just plain wrong. It's not only Capello shooting, it is also Real Madrid shooting.

Gago didn't play against Levante due to injury and two days later he played the entire 90 minutes with Argentina.
On Saturday, he said he needed one more day and the doctors concurred. He wasn't happy because he wanted to play, but we couldn't risk it. We asked him to be very careful with the Argentinian national team. The injury wasn't a big deal, just a strain.

Do you think you are being unfairly treated?
Everyone has to look inside him or herself. Beside that, I don't think anything else. It depends on your conscience, whether it's clean or guilty, both yours and mine. When one has the power of words at his or her service, it's up to him or her to think things through and decide if the things he or she says are right or fair.

Can we speak of Kaká?
He's always been an objective the President. I didn't speak about this with Galliani. We spoke of old times, when things were simpler, when Milan was doing great and they were winning, and when we won the League.

The match against Real Sociedad is complicated.
I have seen three games of theirs. It isn't easy scoring against them, but they have a lot of problems scoring themselves. It will be a hard match.


Report by Laura Navas
Photos by Ángel Martínez
Translation by Luis Orueta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home