Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Monday, October 30, 2006

"Confidence is soaring"


Roberto Carlos: "We know what to do when we step out onto the pitch"


The Brazilian fullback was the guest star of “Fútbol es Fútbol,” the Sunday night prime-time football program of local Madrid TV station Telemadrid. Roberto Carlos looked back on his ten years at Real Madrid, declaring that he would like to retire with the Whites. He also spoke of their direct rivals for the League title and looked closely into the victory of Madrid in Tarragona's Nou Estadi. The Brazilian opines that Real Madrid “are performing well, improving step by step... and you can tell in the games.”

Improvement
We're improving and we have to continue down the same path. The problem isn't that the team is performing badly but that we're playing against tough opponents.

Main League rivals
Barcelona are a fixture in world football and the team to beat. They've been together for six years and that has carried them to be the current League and Champions League title-holders.

I don't consider Sevilla League title contenders, but definitely have the talent to compete in the Champions League. I don't think they'll back down; they will be regular all season long.

Victory against Nàstic
Nàstic played a great first half and didn't give Emerson or Diarra any space to move the ball. Same thing happended in Bucharest. Madrid perform well when they maintain ball possesssion and fight hard to recover it when they lose it. We've improved in that aspect of the game. Nastic set a really high tempo during the first half, but ten minutes into the second half they gave out. So, at that point, we had fresher legs. A game is 90-minutes worth of effort and whoever is better physically prepared tends to win. We patiently await our opportunity to strike at the right moment.


When I scored the free kick in the dying moments of the first half, it is quite customary for the defenders to jump up slightly. I told Raul to position himself in between to distract the keeper.

Helguera
Iván has always shown a good attitude and that should be recognised. He's an example for us all.

Titles
We respect the President's opinion. He's always very optimistic, but we need to go one step at a time, although I definitely see us winning a title. We're talented, confidence is soaring, and our mentality has changed. Capello has introduced the strong Italian mentality, as in the type of team that knows exactly what they have to do when they step out onto the pitch.

Ronaldo
Ronie and I talk and he's definitely OK with the situation. He knows that when he's back to his old self, he will play again. Meanwhile, the coach thinks that Van Nistelrooy and Cassano are in better form. So, he knows he has to wait his turn.

Raul
Raul can still do better. He's been playing well but he's definitely capable of contributing even further to the team.

Robinho
This is the Robinho we all knew from back when he played for Santos. It's the player we want to see: playing fantasy football, having fun and transmitting that. Ronaldinho and Robinho seem to be leading parallel lives in that sense: it took them some time to adapt when they first landed Spanish football.


Offensive
I don't like being overtly defensive but I have improved greatly in this respect. Having Cannavaro and Sergio Ramos next to me frees me up more. I have always been in pretty good form, but I have to stick to what the trainer tells me. When I have the ball and decide to drive forward with it, I need to know that the one of the centre backs has me covered. That means that now I am thinking of what would happen if I lost the ball.

Current contract
I have a year left on my contract with the option of extending it one more year. I don't want to leave in spite of the offers I have received from Fenerbahçe or Chelsea. I want to retire here, whether I am playing or benched.

I though I was out in the summer, but not because I wasn't comfortable but because the team were not winning titles. Maybe I was part of the problem, but then I spoke with Mijatovic and we sorted everything out.

Best left back in the world
There's good fullbacks, but Capello said I was the best in my position. I feel honoured.

Motivation
You don't wake up every Sunday with a smile on your face. There's days when you're gloomy, but I like training, being with my team-mates. It's a second home.

The Getafe Accord
We lost the match against Getafe and the world seemed like it was coming toan end. But not so. Fortunately, we have a game to play every three days and this allows us to turn things around. In the world of football, the defeat against Getafe can be used as a learning tool. You have to get right back up and keep on trying.

Squad veteran
I try to make make sure people get along and are happy in the squad. These colours are very important. Raul and I are the team's veterans and we need to set the example.



Realmadrid.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home