Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Friday, October 27, 2006

Robinho, as happy as ever: "I can be the best in the world"


Robinho's smile has only gotten bigger since he earned a spot in the starting eleven for Real Madrid's Champions League match against Steaua Bucharest, and his stong performances and goal scoring capacity have only doubled coach Fabio Capello's faith in the Brazilian. In an interview with Spanish daily El País, Robinho didn't hesitate in saying "I can be the best in the world."

People in Brazil adore you. They consider you a football genius. However, you didn't really speak up when Capello benched you. Didn't you feel mistreated?
I don't have a worry in the world because I know my football and what I am capable of. I'm just a 22-year-old kid with a lot to learn. I have to be humble. I know I can be the best in the world if I work hard and continue improving, and that's exactly what I', going to do.

Emerson Leao once said you get more out of dribbling your opponent than scoring goals.
That was the case when I first started playing. I have matured since then. Leao was my coach when I was 17. I now know that scoring is more important, although my dribbling skills are more effective than my shot on goal. I have to improve my finishing ability.

But you still get a kick out of feinting players, don't you?
I love dribbling and that's what I know how to do, but a goal is a goal, and that's what people really care about.

Last year only Ronaldo scored more goals off plays than you did. He had 14 and you had eight, not including penalties.
I'm not a penalty kick kind of guy. I took them when I played for Santos, but because they asked me to. I think I will score more this year, but it depends on my progress. My first year here was tough. I think I will only improve.

Last year some of your teammates complained that you dribbled too much.
My teammates never said a word to me. I have complete faith in them. They have only told me that I need to dribble with my eye on the goal. The coaching staff haven't told me anything either. Capello has only said that I need to continue doing what I have always done, the same as in Brazil but with more responsibility.


What's the difference between responsibility in Brazil and responsibility in Spain?
Marking is different here and you have to defend more aggressively. If you lose a ball, you have to return to defend your position. I don't have to change anything when I have the ball. I have to do what I know how to do: dribble and exploit my speed. That's my style and I shouldn't ever change it. It's what brought me to the elite of the football world. It's how I got to Real Madrid, and I want to continue down this path.

Capello says he likes Raúl because he plays even without the ball. What does that mean to you?
Marking well and battling. [Capello] likes players to put up a fight, not just to play. Football isn't just won by quality nowadays. That's why Capello has told me I need to return to my position to try to get the ball back by whatever means necessary.

Isn't it unfair that the forwards are being asked to do the defence's work, and not vice versa?
If the team is well positioned and you lose the football, there will always be a teammate who can recover it. Anyone in top form will want to come down to defend. Being a forward is harder than playing in defence because you have to be on my sides of the pitch. But that's why we train for that.

Have you been asked to build some muscle?
When I started playing for Santos I was always told I was good, but that I need to get stronger because I took so many knocks. I never did any specific workouts because we played two games each week and there wasn't enough time. I see myself stronger now that I'm playing in Europe, and I don't hit the turf as often when I am hit.


Do you work out with weights?
Not often. I'm not allowed to because they think I might lose speed, agility, and dribbling ability. I would definitely get stronger and tougher if I did, but I wouldn't be as fast.

Capello style is very different than yours. You weren't bothered when you found out he would be your coach?
Never, because Emerson told me Capello is a great coach, that we'd win titles with him, and that he is a good person. I have always had good relationships with my coaches. I have never had anything against any of them.

Barcelona's football appears more in sync with Brazilian football. Don't you think you would feel more comfortable playing for a more attack-happy team?
It's not a question about attacking, but about playing well. [Barcelona] are a tight knit group and have been playing together for a long time, and it doesn't matter who plays because they share a similar style. That gives them confidence. If Real Madrid continue becoming closer as a team, I think we'll be equal to, or better than Barça.

What European defence did you have the easiest time getting through?
There's not man-to-man marking in Europe, and I haven't suffered as much as I did in Brazil. There was a defence that always kept me from touching the ball, but I don't remember who it was. In Europe, you don't have to worry about the defenders, but where they are positioned. I like to be in constant motion on either the left, right, or in the middle in order to avoid them. The more I move, the more difficulty defences have.


You have a special understanding with Ronaldo. How did you achieve it?
Ronaldo is very bright. We played futsal, and I knew the moves he was going to make before he even executed them. He always runs at an angle to get to the goal. Our teammates always have to pay attention when they have the ball because Ronie will always work his way in looking for tha pass.

Capello has said that he would like his players to get together more often off the pitch. Isn't it strange that the squad rarely hangs out together when not at work?
We're starting to. We all went to Míchel's birthday the other day. The problem is that some of us are married and some aren't. That's why some go out and some don't.

Did you have a harder time adapting to the style of play or your teammates?
My teammates have always treated me well. The cold, the wet field, and the speed of the ball gave me some problems. The ball gets to you quickly in Europe so you have to control it by positioning yourself differently. Brazil's fields are always dry and in terrible shape. The ball moves slowly and controlling is easier, giving defences time to get into position.

Romario once said that if you played 60% as well as he did, you would be great.
I know! But I don't want to be like Romario, and I never will be. I just want to have fun and triumph with Madrid. Many people have compared me to Romario and Pelé. I am Robinho! I don't want to be compared to anybody.

What's your relationship with Raúl like?
It gets better with every match. We really didn't ever play together so we didn't know eachother so well. We crossed paths a few times last year, but he would either play as a forward or striker, making it complicated. If we're played in one position and left there, we'll continue getting better. I think he's in great physical form. He ran nonstop against Barça.


El País/Realmadrid.com
Photos by Realmadrid.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home