Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Friday, December 08, 2006

Reyes: "Real Madrid-Sevilla is the most special match I can play in"

José Antonio Reyes has been waiting a long time for tomorrow's match against Sevilla, the team that developed him into the player he is today. Three years after leaving the Andalusian Club, Reyes returns to the Sánchez Pizjuán where three "very valuable" points are at stake. In an interview granted to Realmadrid.com and Realmadrid TV, the former Arsenal player said he would like to face the English side in the Last 16 of the Champions League.

Sevilla versus Real Madrid. A very special match for you.
Yes, Real Madrid-Sevilla is the most special match I can play in. I've felt pretty relaxed over the last few days. It will be great to get to Sevilla and to feel the electricity in the air. But, like I said, I've been pretty relaxed.

What kind of welcome to you expect?
I hope a warm one. I did a lot for Sevilla and brought the fans lots of happy moments, just like they did for me. I think it will be a great welcome.

It's safe to assume you and Sergio Ramos have spoken a lot this week.
Of course. It's only normal. He also played there. We know what the atmosphere is like and we have spoken a lot. We can't wait for the match to begin.

Del Nido has asked the Sevilla fans to welcome you with open arms.
It's great that the Sevilla President has asked the fans to give us a warm welcome. We did a lot for Sevilla and poured our hearts and souls into the Club. They can't welcome us badly.

You know them well. What is Sevilla's main threat?
They are just a solid team, which is more important than just one player. The team is doing well and their strength comes from being such a solid group.


They are also in the running for the League title.
True. Sevilla have grown a lot and it has shown in the table. They are currently third and playing great football. They will stay among the leaders if they continue playing well, but I play for Real Madrid.

This match will show just how much Madrid has improved.
It will be a huge morale boost if we win. Winning in the Pizjuán means three very valuable points. Staying at the top of the table and putting a little room between us and Sevilla would be fantastic.

The team has yet to play their best football.
It's important that we continue to set the bar higher. But you can never reach perfection. We can't put a limit on anything, because once you reach that limit, there's no where to go.

What would you tell those who say the team isn't playing good football?
Everyone has an opinion. Maybe we don't play pretty football, but we win, and that's what counts. We want to be at the top of the table until the League ends. There are teams that play very well but always lose.


Is Madrid all that you expected?
Yes. It's everything I expected inside and out. I was somewhat familiar with the Club. I had spoken to Sergio and other teammates. I have found what I was looking for in a team.

You have joined a great dressing room.
It's very important that we be one family and one dressing room. You can always tell when there's a good atmosphere.

Are you comfortable playing on the right side of the pitch?
I also played on the right when I was with Arsenal. It's somewhat new and I'm not having many problems, but I do prefer the left side. As long as I'm playing, it really doesn't matter where I am.

You haven't had much of the responsibility of taking free kicks this year.
It's important that the team trusts the right player to take free kicks. I have taken corners and free kicks from both sides.

Any preference for your Last 16 opponent in the Champions League?
I would like to play in England against Arsenal.


Report by Álvaro Velasco
Photos by David R. Anchuelo
Translation by Matthew Goltz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home