Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Fabio Capello press conference:"We deserved to go through to the quarterfinals; I am happy with my men's attitude"


Fabio Capello talked to the press after the match against Betis and said he was satisfied with his players' attitude on the pitch. He also praised the efforts made by Gago and youth system player Miguel Torres.

What's your opinion on the match?
We played a very good game, but we were unluky. These things happen in football all the time. We should have been awarded one penalty. What I didn't like is that we failed to score on so many chances. The bad thing is we now hardly have any time to prepare for this weeken'd match against Mallorca.

Did you regret at any point not having another striker, such as Ronaldo, on the bench?
We made that decision because Ronaldo has only trained twice since he recovered from his injury.

What did you think about how Betis wasted time in the second half?
It's up to the referee to comment on that. He also has the power of adding 15 minutes of extra time if he wishes to do so.

Didn't you miss Beckham for the free kick in the 85-minute mark?
Beckham has taken many free kicks and scored only two so far. I thought De la Red was going to take tonight's because he's very good at taking free kicks. I think this has been one of the best matches we've played in the Bernabéu and I'm very happy for that. I congratulated my men after the match.

Nevertheless, you failed to defeat a Betis side full of substitute players...
They weren't subs. many of them played in the first leg match.

Do you think Robinho should have pressured more down the left wing after one of Betis' players got injured?
I saw Robinho take many players single handed and shoot on goal several times.

Will you also leave players out in the future for political reasons even if the available squad is greatly reduced by doing so?
If we had won, you wouldn't be asking that question and all of you would have said tonight's was the best game we've played so far. I'm happy with our performance. We played well. Now we have three days to focus on Mallorca.

Do you think non-sporting club issues have taken their toll on the team this week?
My players played very well. They had guts and showcased quality. These things happen in football. Despite being out of the competition, I think we gave a very good image.

Is Gago the only alternative you have for a playmaker?
I'm hoping for some players to recover soon. Nevertheless, we now have De la Red. I must say Gago has integrated in the team very well. He has a fantastic first touch on the ball and he positions himself very well.

Are you worried about the lack of goals scored so far?
No. We didn't deserve to be knocked off the competition.

Tonight saw a great use of youth system players.
These players have already played some Champions League and King's Cup matches. Torres played last Sunday. I think they know very well what all this is about. Torres is on the team now. You people complain whenever I don't use youth system players, and now that I've done so, you complain anyway...

Report by Carlos Cristóbal, Luis Navarro and Cristina Monge
Photography by (ASSOCIATED PRESS PHOTOGRAPHS)

Translation by Michael J. Oo'Donnell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home