Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Friday, January 26, 2007

Fabio Capello:"I want my players to take the pitch with heart, guts, and strength"







Fabio Capello appeared before the media prior to leaving to Villarreal, where on Saturday the Whites will play "a very important match" that's a must-win in order to stay at the top on the League table. The Madridista coach reviewed the current state of the team and confessed that one of his main objectives since rejoining Real Madrid has been to "get back that winning spirit."

What did you and Doménech talk about?
That's between two coaches. It wouldn't be proper to talk about here. He can talk about it if he wants, but I don't think it's correct because of the respect I have for a coach of his stature.

It looks like Ronaldo is definitely leaving.
He is still a Real Madrid player until he passes his physical and signs a contract. I know the offer exists, but it's not right to talk about Ronaldo. We have to wait. We will talk about him during the next press conference when all is signed and done.

Have you already started thinking about a replacement for the attack?
We'll talk about all that when the Ronaldo issue is over. We try to find players who can have a future at Real Madrid. We're always looking, not just because Ronaldo may be leaving.

Raúl could be the solution by playing further up in attack.
Raúl has played that same position a lot.

Your thoughts on Cristiano Ronaldo?
He plays for Manchester.

Is it true that they called you from Italy to ask for Ronaldo?
That is private. I don't like talking about it to the press. It's not my nature. Private calls, like my talk with the French national coach, are private.

Was the Ronaldo issue a personal problem?
He wasn't very happy here. But I don't want the players to be happy. I want them to train and play like they know how to. I've never had anything personal against him because I have always respected everyone. I want them to train and to take the pitch with heart, guts, and strength. I have said that I want to get back that winning spirit since the moment I got here.

Beckham isn't traveling to Villarreal.
He didn't make the list under doctor's orders. His knee is bothering him. I want to speak about the match. The Villarreal match is very important to me as a coach.

Are you counting on him until 30 June?
He has to be fit in order to make the list. We can't call up players who don't train. A lot depends on his physical form, as it does any player. I don't have friends or enemies. I have a squad and I play the best I have. We are short on players right now, as is Castilla. I have to count on those who train. It's all up to [Beckham].

Did you think you rushed in saying that Beckham would never again play for Madrid?
Mistakes are often made. It's up to the coaching staff, and the three of us decide what measures to take. He can be a part of the team when I see him demonstrate good form and good mentality.

Do you like Robinho along the left and Reyes along the right?
I always remember Robinho playing along the left in Brazil. He has always played on the left wing here. I think playing the two, one on the right and the other on the left, provides the best results. I think Robinho has fewer opportunities to dribble along the right. His step-overs are a lot better on the left wing.

Would you have preferred to make some of the decisions that you are making now at the beginning of the season?
What's important isn't what is said or told, but what is done. We all arrived on 4 July. We are making decisions because we realise we have to take one route to get to the final objective. We are trying to get back that winning spirit, and the fans are understanding.

Are you worried that you are short of players?
We have five players out injured, and we need them back. I think we're jinxed.

Are you making sporting decisions that you previously couldn't, or weren't allowed to make?
There's not just one person in charge here. The entire coaching staff sits down to talk, but I have the final say, of course. I am the main boss.

Your thoughts on everything the press says.
I am a freedom of speech advocate. Everyone has the right to express their opinion, but always with total respect towards others. That, oftentimes, doesn't happen.


Report by Laura Navas
Photos by David R. Anchuelo

Translation by Matthew Goltz
Video By :Marca.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home