Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Friday, September 29, 2006

Guti Press Conference


"It's not fair that Raúl hasn't been called up to play with Spain, but if he continues to play this well, I'm sure he will be back"

José María Gutiérrez “Guti” commented on Spain coach Luis Aragonés' teamsheet during a press conference. He also talked about Sunday's derby against Atletico Madrid and the good form he's in.

Spain teamsheet
"I don't really have much to say about it other than I think it's unfair that Raúl hasn't been called up. I personally think he is the banner of Real Madrid and the emblem of Spanish football, so in my opinion someone like him should play for the Spanish national team. I'm dissapointed because I would like Raúl to play for Spain, but I can't talk about why Luis Aragonés hasn't chosen him because I don't know the selection criteria he has followed. I hope this doesn't end his run as an international player. This is just another call-up. If Raúl continues to play this well, I'm sure that he will return.

I had little hopes of going. I had my hopes set on playing in the World Cup, but I wasn't called up. I think the door to the national team was shut for me from then on. I have to carry on playing my best at Real Madrid. There's nothing else I can do.

I'm not here to defend Raúl, he can do that himself. We simply haven't been called up and now we must focus on the derby against Atletico Madrid. Sunday's match is what's most important right now.

Physical form
Capello has thought of a scheme that allows me to play, and I'm very happy and grateful for the faith he has in me. I hope the team keeps improving and that we continue winning matches. I feel comfortable on the field. It is better for me to have two players behind me who are doing an important job. This way, I don't have to make too many defensive efforts.

We are all essential to this team. In order to win every competition, a team has to have a diverse quad to allow rotations and different line-ups.

Atletico Madrid
I'm surprised Mijatovic said that a draw would be a good result. I think that drawing against Atletico in the Bernabéu would be a bad result. We are favourites to win the match and have to prove it on the pitch.


Atletico have a better squad than last season and a great coach, who is their strong foundation. We'll see how Atletico perform in forthcoming matches. I think they have a team good enough to fight for something important.

Eto'o's injury
I'm sad because I'm fond of Eto'o. None of us like that a professional player should have to go through this. Barcelona are going to feel his absence because he is their best attacker. I'll try to cheer him up as soon as I can.


Report by Cristina Monge
Photography by Daniel Sastre
Translation by Michael J. O'Donnell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home