Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Beckham clears up any speculation about his departure from the Club: "I don't want to leave"

During Monday's press conference, David Beckham assured fans and the press that he is very comfortable with the situation he finds himself in within the team and that negotiations to extend his contract are well underway. “I work hard and all I think about is pleasing the coach,” said the English midfielder, who looked relaxed, content, and with the desire to win back his spot in Fabio Capello's starting eleven.

Have you been offered a contract extension?
No, there has been no formal offer, but the Club has been in contact with my representative. They met once last season and once so far this season, but because there have been so many internal changes, things are going a bit slow.

What was the Cassano incident in Tarragona like?
I wasn't there. I was injured so I stayed in Madrid. I only heard about it through my teammates, so I can't really comment.

Would you accept being transferred to another team?
I haven't even thought about it. I am very happy here, and my family and I want to stay in Madrid. The Club and my representative have held meetings since last season, and they should be meeting again this week or next.

Do you plan on playing well into your 30's?
I don't plan on retiring and I think I can be a useful footballer for several more years. I love playing football and I think I have many more years of playing in me.

Could continually being benched affect your future decisions?
It's been hard for me, but every footballer goes through this. The manager knows I'm not happy on the bench and he'd be shocked if I was. I respect his decision, but I work as hard as I can each day in order to regain his faith. It's obviously hard for me because I love playing and traveling with the team, but these things happen. Like I said, I want to stay here. I believe in the team and the project, I respect the coach, and I think this is the year we have the best chance of winning a title. I want to be here at the end of the year when this team wins a title.

Is your current situation similar to your last year with Manchester United?
In some ways it is, but I will do what I have to to get back into the lineup, and I know I will. In my last year with Manchester, I didn't get to play against Real Madrid or Arsenal. But those things happen. It doesn't matter what you did in the past. Ryan Giggs, one of Manchester's best players ever, was heavily criticised during my last years there, and now he's one of the fan and press favourites. I will do everything possible to silence my critics and win a spot in the lineup.
Are you closer to reaching an agreement now than you were during the first meeting with Calderón.
All I can say is that in every meeting the President has told me that he wants me to stay. The press says things that aren't true, like me wanting to leave. All that matters is what is said in those meetings. Negotiations are going well, but we have to iron out some details. Everything is looking good.

You've left the impression that you miss Manchester.
That's something I told an English newspaper two weeks ago, but what I really said was that I miss my friends who play there. I am happy with this new experience. Manchester is in my past. No one can take those great years away from me. Again, what I really said was that I miss my friends, like Gary Neville.

Have you considered returning to the Premiership some day?
Not at all. I am happy here. I have been here for several years and I want to stay in Madrid. I will never forget those fantastic years, but I am here now, and I want to stay.

Some people question your speedy recovery.
I have had this injury before, and then people also doubted my professionalism. I think it's funny. I play if I can. If not, I don't. I hurt my knee playing against Ecija so I told the manager. I consider myself a professional from head to toe. Today I trained with the team, and even though I haven't fully recovered, I did train. I don't care if anyone wants to doubt my professionalism. That's their problem.

Is the fact that you're not getting playing time delaying the negotiation process?
That's not the reason. There are no delays. The first meeting took place last year, but there have been so many changes that things are taking a little longer. The first meeting with this President took place three weeks ago. The next meeting will be this week or next. Things are going as we expected. I read in the papers that they had stopped altogether, which is totally untrue. I don't think I should play every game or live off my name. The team is doing well, and all I can hope for is that I get my chance and that I take advantage of it. We haven't signed anything yet, but the process is going well.


What are your thoughts on Cassano?
Antonio didn't train today and I wasn't in Tarragona, so I can't comment on the issue. Cassano is a good person, fun, and professional.

What differences are there between this season and past years?
This team works harder physically and tactically. I love the professionalism Capello has brought, and I like his training methods. There is more team unity. The other day someone commented that I said there was a better mentality in England, but that's not what I said. I said they are two different mentalities and both are acceptable. I agree with how we are doing things. We are working better as a team.

Will you have a change of opinion if you haven't signed anything by January?
It doesn't matter if nothing has changed by January. I have already said that I'm not leaving. This is a winning team and I want to be part of it. The meetings shouldn't affect me. I am a professional, and whatever happens, happens on the pitch. The press has said the Club will sell me if we don't reach an agreement, but that has nothing to do with what I think. All I have to do is work hard and play good football.

What do you think about the criticism the team's play has received?
There will always be criticism. Teams go through patches, and right now we're playing good football. Saturday's game was tough, but we came through in the second half. We also played well against Barça and Steaua, and we'll continue playing better as we gain confidence.

Is Real Madrid negotiating a contract that involves earning less money?
It has nothing to do with money. All I care about is playing football. There's a lot of money in football, and we as players earn a lot, but Real Madrid has said nothing about lowering my salary. Money really hasn't been an issue. The meetings focus on other things. All I want to do is concentrate on playing.

Would you sign for less money?
That's a hypothetical question that I can't answer right now.


Report by Álvaro Velasco
Photos by Daniel Sastre
Translation by Matthew Goltz & Luis Orueta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home