Google
Web realmadrid-news.blogspot.com
www.realmadrid.com www.as.com

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Guti: "We'll start out strong"

"Steaua are performingwell away. There are no easy games"


On his 30th birthday, the team's playmaker gave a press conference before the Champions League match against Steaua, of whom he says, “They will not be an easy rival.” He also spoke of the Cassano affair, pointing out, “This type of things can't happen and we have to assume the Club's decision.”

At 30, is the best of you as a player just around the corner?
I hope so. For me and for the team. I'm really hoping to win something this year.

What do you most cherish of the fifteen years you have been at Real Madrid?
The good and the bad alike. I have grown personally and from a footballing perspective. I'm very happy with my fifteen years here.

What wears you down more, your age or all the responsibility you now have?
My age. I'm not a kid anymore. But I remember my debut at 19 and mentally I feel like not a day has gone by. I'm still as hungry for titles and winning in general.

What's it been like over the last few hours?
The past is long gone. This is another era at the Club and we can't let the past catch up with us. The Club has taken a decision and we all need to assume it. We would like to be training together, all of us. We spoke to Antonio and we tried to cheer him up. It's a situation that's hard to understand and we hope it never happens again.


Do you agree with the disciplinary action?
We agree that this type of things cant's happen. Respect has to be above all else here, for everyone alike, whether it's Cassano or anyone else. But I must confess that all this is new to me.

Did he say he was sorry?
He's sad. In the heat of the moment, he said things that he now regrets having said. He now has to train and wait for his chance to get back with the team.

Will this match be easier than the away leg?
There are no easy games. They're a good team. They're performing well away, with fast players ahead. We respect them, but we are going to come out real strong, out to get them and solve the game from the very beginning. It's an important encounter for both teams: we haven't qualified yet and they need to win here in order to aspire to do so.

Should Cassano's suspension be lifted if he says he's sorry.
I've already said my piece regarding this. As a friend, I would like him to be back ASAP. But that's me and it's not for me to make this decision, rightfully so.


Real Madrid suffer when the opponents mark you closely and stop you from deploying your game. What are the ways around this?
There's got to be because against Nastic I didn't play well and the team won. It's not enough with stopping Guti. There's great players like Raul, and others who are very strong and score goals and are very dangerous. One team is not a one-man affair.

What player would you highlight in Steaua?
Before they had players like Hagi and now they have players like Nicolita…They're very good.

Until Roberto Carlos scored in Tarragona, the team did not play well.
We didn't play well but we adapted to the small and narrow field of play. It is true that we didn't do well until they took a step down, but we won, and that was the most important thing. There will be games like this in the future and even if we play poorly, we need to win them.


Report by Luis Navarro
Photos by David R. Anchuelo
Translation by Luis Orueta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home